Welcome to my debut entry of ‘My Poke-pinions,’ because I don’t have enough Pokemon content on my blog. This series is dedicated to exploring my opinions on all of the Pokemon in existence. Here are the topics that will be covered:
– Name: I find it really interesting how some Pokemon got their names in pretty much any language, but usually Japanese and English. Some may be obvious, but others have very interesting backstories behind them. Names can also make or break a Pokemon. It should be fitting and roll off the tongue easily.
– Design: This includes official artwork and sprites from each generation.
– Shiny: Basically covered under their design, but shinies are an entirely different design ballpark for many species.
– Cry/Voice: Covering its cry from the games and its voice in the anime, if it currently has one. This will not cover Japanese voices, because I doubt I would be able to find clips of each one. Also, keep in mind, I’m basing most of my voicing opinions on the 4Kids dub. Until I get to Pokemon who debuted exclusively in the newer dub, they will not be considered, mostly because I don’t have enough experience watching that version. This section has been phased out of these posts due to repeated cries/changes of voices/lack of access to the Japanese voices etc.
– The entire evolutionary line: I believe in getting an entirely evolutionary line out of the way instead of putting out several entries for it. Just saves time for you as a reader.
– Dex entries and backstories: All of them, including games, anime and manga. Most of them say the same thing, but they explore interesting things about a Pokemon’s backstory or biology that are worth noting.
In regards to backstory, I’m referencing their design and lore inspirations.
– Alolan, Galarian, Mega and Gigantamax versions: To cover the whole set, if they have these alternate versions.
What will not be covered, for the most part:
– Stats: I was never too deep into the world of stats, and I have never done competitive play, so unless I have something particularly noteworthy to discuss in this regard, I will not be talking about stats.
– Moveset: Again, unless something seems noteworthy, I won’t be discussing this.
– Portrayals in the Anime: This is an opinion series on the Pokemon as a species, so I won’t be giving my opinions on any portrayals in the anime (*usually). I might share some gripes about a Pokemon’s lack of presence in the anime or small notes such as that, but I won’t be discussing particular examples of Pokemon in the anime. Each Pokemon has their own personality so it seems wrong to mark them up or down as a species because of one or two examples.
That’s about it! Updates for this series might be slow, but I hope to have fun with it. We’re going in official dex number order, so the ‘Saur line is up first.